Church of England Diocese of Hereford Smethcote

About Us

ST MICHAEL & ALL ANGELS, SMETHCOTE

Rebuilt in 1850 at a cost of approx. £650 this church sits on a hill with magnificent views and was originally part of a motte and bailey complex.

The roof structure is held together by wooden dowels there being no iron in the building. The stone font is Norman or earlier. Young people are particularly welcome and there is a newly provided play area at the rear of the nave.

The church is part of the Steeplewood Fold group of churches and comprises six parishes – Stapleton, Dorrington, Longnor, Leebotwood, Smethcote and Woolstaston. The parishes have an approximate civil population of approximately 2000 and most lie to the west of the A49 trunk road between Shrewsbury and Church Stretton: approximately 5 miles distant from each.