Facilities and features
There is no other church in the country with this dedication. St Congar was a nephew of St. David and is believed to have come from S. Wales to Congresbury, and probably built the first church here about 700 A.D.
The North Chapel is believed to be the oldest part of the church. The east window is very early decorated about 1340 A.D. A similar one existed at the West end and can be seen from . The piscina, in wonderful state of preservation, dates form 1320-50. The Founders Tomb on the North side bears an inscription in Norman French, Jon de Hamton. gist: ici. Diev. De. Salme. eit. merci. (Jon de Hamton lies here God, on his soul, have mercy.)
The present nave was probably built about the middle of the 15th century. There are fine perpendicular windows on the South, and the massive door is enriched with Tudor rose design, also an iron ring and knocker used by those "seeking sanctuary". The two carved heads may have borne a beam supporting a "parvise" or upper room. The Chancel was rebuilt in 1864 in the decorated style
The Jacobean pulpit stands on a pre-reformation stone pulpit, however, the faces of the four carved figures (probably the evangelist) are unfortunately mutilated.
The Font is of very early date probably Early English or Norman.
The Tower contains five bells, two of them pre-reformation, with latin inscriptions.