Cloford The Parish of Cloford spreads over an area of approximately 3,000 acres, taking in the hamlets of Leighton and parts of Holwell. Nearby, Cloford Quarry is a geological site of Special Scientific Interest, as are the limestone quarries at Holwell dating from the Triassic and Jurassic periods. Cloford is a tiny village compared with a century ago when it had a chapel, school, its own rector and headmistress. Today, there are about 30 habitable dwellings in the area. It is a friendly, isolated community where private transport is essential. Nearby Postlebury Wood contains the retreat of Dean Gunthorpe of Wells.
The Blessed Virgin Mary, Cloford. The church is in a glorious setting and has been on the same site since the 11th century. The tower was added in the 15th century. The Nave was reroofed and the Chancel rebuilt and enlarged in 1856. In 1867 a stone-laying ceremony was held for the organ chamber and vestry, which was dedicated in 1869 by the Reverend J.H. Horner, Rector of Mells and Patron of Cloford. There is a magnificent 1672 monument to Sir George Horner (the rebuilder of Cloford manor) in its own side chapel.