In March 2019 the three parishes of Ashwick, Oakhill and Binegar became the Parish of Beacon Trinity. We are one parish with three churches, St James', Ashwick, All Saints', Oakhill and Holy Trinity, Binegar. We seek to be a Beacon of welcome, acceptance and hope centred on Jesus.
We have a variety of styles and opportunities for worship across the three church buildings.
The date of the first Parish Church in Binegar is not known. However, correspondence discovered in ancient records dated 1065, links a 'Bishop GISO' with the Parish. This indicates the presence of a Church here before the Norman Conquest.
An unbroken list of incumbents takes us back at least 700 years to 1297. A list of incumbents names can be seen in the Church.
What may have been the third Church on the site was built about in1400 A.D. in the Perpendicular style. Today the tower, aisle, flagstones and some of the nave masonry is all that remains of the building. The nave and chancel were rebuilt in the Victorian era in the decorated style 1858.
Also surviving from this early 15th century building, is the Jacobean altar table, the octagonal font, some Mural Sepulchria, Communion Plate and three of the six tower bells.
The height of the tower is just over 70 ft. to the top of the battlements. The carving in the centre of the western parapet represents the Church's dedication to the Holy Trinity, portraying a seated King (The Father) holding a crucfix (The Son) and bearing a dove (The Holy Spirit) and has been described as "probably the finest Trinity group in England".
In 1937 three new bells were added.
At the rebuilding of the Church in 1858 THE HOLY WATER STOOP was preserved and built into a recess in the vestry wall.
The two-manual (now electrically blown) tracker ORGAN was in stalled in 1894 and was the first instrument built by Griffen and Stroud of Bath.
The wind frayed WHITE ENSIGN beside the WAR MEMORIAL TABLETS was flown by the arctic convoy corvette H.M.S. Honeysuckle when taking survivors from H.M.S. Goodall (torpedoed off the Russian coast.) Goodall was the last British ship to be sunk by the Germany in World War II.