The ancient village of Compton Martin lies in a pleasantly situated vale on the north-eastern side of the Mendip Hills.
St Michael’s is a superb 12C Church with many interesting Norman features, including a twisted pillar in the nave, and listed in Simon Jenkin’s top 1000 Churches. The fabric of the church is supported and repaired by the Friends of St Michaels’, a registered charity. There is an Altar Guild and two teams of servers composed of youngsters who first began as children receiving communion prior to confirmation. An increasing number of youngsters are coming forward to learn bell ringing skills.
There are a number of social activities in the village which include weekly Pilates classes, Art Group, Bridge Group, drop-in Coffee morning and Dance Club. The Compton Martin Players is a flourishing Amateur Dramatic group putting on plays and pantomimes in the village hall which is a key centre of village activities. The Village Hall is a popular venue in the village for holding events such as : The Harvest Supper run by the all male 1982 Committee who provide the food and the entertainment; Barbeques; Quiz nights; and the Scarecrow Trail. There is an adjoining multi-purpose sports field. Monthly Seniors lunch at the pub and scrabble club in the Old Schoolroom which is adjacent to the church.