In 1899 a train pulled into Clevedon railway station (now long gone) carrying a load of used wood and sheet iron which would come to fulfill the vision of a local congregation.
<span style="font-size: 1rem;">At that time Clevedon had developed into a wealthy Victorian town that stretched a long way from the old fishing village at the West End. Some of the townspeople were served by the new churches of Christchurch and St John’s but those still living in the old parish of St Andrew’s could have a long walk to church.</span>
They heard of a redundant school chapel in Margate, Kent which they decided to purchase. It had corrugated iron walls and roof and came complete with pews and stained glass windows. It was dismantled and brought by train to Clevedon and placed on a site at the other end of the parish. The church was opened on May 9th 1899 by the Bishop of Bath and Wells. It was named after Andrew’s brother and became St Peter’s.
The church congregation grew in numbers and was soon busier than the main Parish church. It had a thriving life in the early years of this century. Dame Violet Wills provided the money for a new permanent church which was built alongside the old one in Alexandra Road, forty years ago
This modern, light church has continued to develop. In 1984 it became the home of Clevedon United Reformed Church, who came to share the building with the Anglican Congregation. In 1995 St Peter’s became a parish in its own right.