About Us

St Nicholas was built in 1911 and was until 1980 the National Nautical School College Chapel. It was purchased by the Parish in 1985. The College replaced the Training ship 'Formidable', an old wooden warship moored off Portishead which was used as a reformatory from 1869 to 1906 for up to 300 boys from the streets of Bristol, who were trained as seamen. Part of the ship Formidable is incorporated into the main altar of St Nicholas Church.