The Parish Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary is beautifully situated in the small Exmoor village of Brompton Regis. It is part of the five-parish group forming the Dulverton Benefice. Withiel Florey is a small rural chapel a few miles away, managed by the same PCC as Brompton Regis.
Our stone church dates back to the early 13th century, and the recently restored tower is of that period (see church pages on the village website for more details - www.bromptonregis.com). Other parts of the building were developed and altered through subsequent centuries. It was originally built by the monks of nearby Barlynch Abbey, of which some ruins still exist. Recent excavations during the tower project confirmed the long-held assumption that a wooden church stood on the site in Saxon times, and exposed a burial ground from that period. The village is called both Brompton Regis and Kingsbrompton, referring to the fact that at the time of the Norman conquest the manor was held by King Harold's mother, Gytha or Ghida. She was evidently a formidable lady who resisted attempts by the Normans to remove her, and she was allowed to keep the manor until her death.
We have a fine and historically significant T.C.Lewis organ, originally built in 1872 and moved here in 1897. It was fully and authentically restored in 2014. Organists who would like to come and play it are welcome to get in touch. More information on the organ is available on the website, together with further church and village history and present day information.
We welcome visitors, and there is always coffee and chat after our weekly service.