Facilities and features


Large cloakroom accessible by wheelchair located in the base of the tower.

Sitaued in the cloakroom.

The church has its own car park situated on the other side of Church Road from the churchyard west gate.

Large cloakroom accessible by wheelchair located in the base of the tower.

Shallow ramp in south porch

Hearing (induction) Loop

Our Building

Historic England 1060186
Anglican Parish church. Some C12 and C13 work but predominantly C15, restored 1895. Coursed rubble and ashlar, triple-Roman tile and slate roofs, crested ridges, coped verges. Nave with south aisle and south porch, chancel with south transept chapel and north chapel which is now a vestry; west tower. Perpendicular with minor Early English features. Tower new built 1434, embattled, 3 stages, corner pinnacles on shafts, diagonal buttresses with offsets terminating on third stage; topping embattled polygonal stair turret; 2-light bell- chamber windows of Somerset type with louvres; 2-light blank square-head windows on stage below; gargoyles; 3-light west window, west door in richly moulded surround, carved heads as label stops. Four bay aisle of late C15/early C16, embattled parapet, nerlons pierced by quatrefoils; gargoyles; 3 and 4-light windows. Two storey porch with upper chamber, stair turret, narrow buttresses, parapet in conforming style to aisle, 2-light window on first floor with iron stanchion and saddle bars. Three bay nave with Norman herringbone stonework on north wall; 3-light windows with C19 tracery except 2-light on north wall of c.1300. North chapel 1434 for Sir John Hylle, 3-light square head window; converted to vestry and enlarged C19, this portion with re-used 2-light window of c1300. Short buttressed chancel with C19 lancet, C14 3-light east window, restored plate tracery. Benched porch on flag floor, door to parvise with early graffiti. Interior plastered on flag floors, encaustic pavement to chancel. Ceiled wagon roofs; to south aisle and south chapel C15/C16 with ribs and bosses, plaster pendant, C18 cornices with egg and dart enrichment; to nave C15 with ribs, similar cornices; to chancel probably C19. Three bay arcade to south aisle, 2-bay arcade between chancel and chapel, the latter with foliate banding to the caps of the piers. Broad chancel arch and arch between south aisle and south chapel. Shafted reveals to windows. Virtually complete set of pews dated 1536 and 1561, carved square-headed ends, amongst the motifs birds, a fuller and his tools, Renaissance heads in medallions, plants and stylised ornament; carved readers. Scraped font, probably C14, on a moulded base. In chancel, monument to Sir John Hylle and his lady of c1434, reclining figures on tomb-chest with panel arched at head and foot and containing shields, cusped and sub cusped 4-centred arch, panelled inside, high attic with panels containing shields, much foliate decoration. C15 chest. Two C19 candelabra utilising C17 wooden columns with interlacing vine decoration, most likely they originally supported a loft at rear of nave. Medieval alas box. C19 pulpit with re-used Jacobean panels. Jacobean altar table, renewed top. C19 decalogue plaques, lectern, altar rail, reredos, choir stalls and organ. Several iii slabsi wall monument of 1734; C19 monument by Wood of Bristol; 7 further principal C19 monuments, executed in stone and in brass. Royal arms. Much good late C19 stained glass. C17 and two C18 bells. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and Nest Somerset, 1958; Church Guide, undated).

Music and Worship

The church has a fine ring of 6 bells

Our Victorian organ is played for most services.

Groups, Courses and Activities

Help for Visitors

A set of brief guides can be purchased covering various aspects of the building including architecture, stained glass, war memorials, woodwork, music and bells, churchyard features, and our patron saint, St Margaret.

Weekly cafe in the village hall (3 minutes walk) on Friday mornings from 10:30 till 1

Church is open daily from 10-4 (longer in summer)

Other Features

St Margaret's is located in a small conservation area in which are several historic buildings including the 15th Century Court Farm, the former Rectory (now Peart Hall), and Cook's Almshouses.