THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST CROWCOMBE
Situated next to Crowcombe Court, just off the A358, the earliest church on the site is thought to have been built in Saxon times, but of the present church, the earliest part is the 14th century tower and north wall; more was added in the 15th century, and the south aisle was built in the16th century. The private Carew chapel was added in 1655, and is still in use by the family. Some restoration took place in 1720 and 1869, and the church is well maintained.
The church is built of Quantock red sandstone, with a slate roof and has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade 1 listed building.
The church is well known for its carved bench-ends, dating from 1534, depicting many symbols in use at that time, including three green men, foliage, fruits and birds; there is one carved with Crowcombe men fighting a two-headed dragon. The font is also from the 16th century and depicts the figures of a knight, a bishop, a nun, St Anne and the Virgin Mary. The church has a typical wagon roof with carved bosses, and the porch has fan tracery.
There is a 14th century churchyard cross, much weathered, just outside the porch, and in the churchyard the top section of an original spire can be seen – the spire was severely damaged by lightning in 1724 and came crashing down into the church, some of the stone being re-used in the church flooring.
The tower contains a ring of 6 bells hung for change ringing. The full peal was refurbished and rehung in 2007/08. The oldest bell, the 4th, was cast around 1440 by the bell founder John Gosselin. The tenor bell, the 6th, weighs 18cwt and was cast in 1712. Practice night is on Thursdays from 7.30pm until 9.00pm. For details of Sunday service ringing please contact the tower captain, Robert Kennedy on 01984 630934
QUANTOCK TOWERS BENEFICE
Crowcombe Church and parish is a part of the Quantock Towers Benefice of 7 rural churches, each with many historical features of interest, just to the west of the Quantock Hills – recognised as an area of outstanding natural beauty. You are warmly welcome to join us at any of our services or church-events – and do make yourself known – although we will probably get in first! Click here to visit the Quantock Towers Benefice website
Crowcombe Church services and other linked Church and village events are detailed in “Pathways”, the Benefice monthly magazine. Services are also listed in the Crowcombe village bi-monthly publication “CAW” and also on the village Parish Council website: www.crowcombe.org.uk The Church notice board also lists services and events. For marriages, baptisms and funerals, please contact either the Rector or Assistant Curate, or the Churchwardens.
Wardens: Melville Trimble 01984-618727, Geoffrey Billson 01984 618272