We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
Lancashire's Anglican Cathedral is a striking building, set in the centre of the former cotton town of Blackburn. Architecturally, the Cathedral is a neat synthesis of the 1826 Parish Church (designed in Strawberry Hill Gothic by John Palmer, also architect of nearby Pleasington Priory) and the later extensions carried out by W A Forsyth and Laurence King after the creation of the Diocese of Blackburn in 1926. The Cathedral's distinctive lantern tower and spire make it easily identifiable.
As comments in the Visitors' Book frequently attest, the Cathedral is an oasis of calm in the centre of a busy town, and provides a space where people of all faiths are welcome, and do come to pray or spend a moment of quiet during the day.
The Cathedral contains a large collection of modern art, including works by John Hayward, Josefina de Vasconcellos and Mark Jalland, and The Journey, a series of paintings by Penny Warden that parallel the Stations of the Cross and stained glass by Edward Burne-Jones, John Hayward and Linda Walton, whose vibrantly-coloured lantern tower glass is one of the finest beauties of the building.
Checks & Greys, the Cathedral's new Cafe was opened early February 2020 and is open Monday to Saturday (8.30am to 4.30pm) and Sunday (10.00am to 4.00pm). Do come for a visit. More information, including menus can be found on the Cathedral website.
Choral services are maintained almost daily during term time and full details of services and other musical events can be obtained at www.blackburncathedral.com
Situated immediately adjacent to Blackburn's train and bus stations, the Cathedral is easily accessed by public transport and is a short walk from several car parks. There is, regrettably, no parking available on site.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below