St Oswald’s is the largest of the three churches in the benefice. Its size and central location reflect the historic, strategic and economic importance of the village of Warton. There has been a church here for over 1,000 years.
St Oswald’s was substantially rebuilt in the 15th century. There have been many subsequent changes, most recently in 2004 when the back of church was re-ordered to provide a new choir vestry and kitchen and the entrance was changed for disabled access; subsequently a toilet was installed. The interior is spacious and well-proportioned. The tower was built in about 1480 and paid for by the local Washington family who were ancestors of the family of George Washington, the first president of the United States. St Oswald’s attracts tourists because of this connection, which is commemorated on July 4th each year when the American flag is flown from the tower.