St. Philip and St. James is one of 5 Churches in the team ministry. The others are St. Anne (Bowden Hill), St. Cyriac (Lacock), St. John the Baptist (Gastard) and St. Bartholomew (corsham).
Construction of St Philip and St James’ Church started in 1866, shortly after the adjacent school had opened.
In 1985 a long-awaited scheme to adapt the building for modern needs was finally undertaken (records show that the scheme had first been formally discussed in 1972!), resulting in internal reordering to create a vestibule, kitchen and cloakroom, choir vestry, and a large upstair meeting room.