Although it is possible that there was a small Saxon church here, it is definite that a Norman church was built towards the end of the 11th century by the two landowners, Edward of Salisbury (Lacock) and William of Eu (Lackham). The dedication to St. Cyriac commemorates a favourite Norman saint. On level ground not far from the church Edward’s great, great granddaughter Ela, Countess of Salisbury, founded her nunnery in 1229. The church itself is full of later monuments to the Baynards, Bonhams, Crokes, Sharingtons, Talbots and Awdreys. In the 14th century there was some rebuilding of the church, remains of which can be seen in the lower part of the tower and some Decorated tracery in a north transept window. Lacock became prosperous through the wool and cloth trade and was advantageously sited on the London to Bath road. It was this prosperity that brought about the great rebuilding of the church in the 15th century and created the Perpendicular church on a cruciform plan that we see today. An outstanding 2 bay north east chapel was built by the Bonham and Croke families and there is an unusual east chancel arch window of 6 lights, which is of an unusual shape caused by the intrusion of the chancel arch.