The church in Blean is the parish church for the communities of Blean and Tyler Hill and has links with the Chaplaincy at the University of Kent. We welcome enquiries about Weddings, Christenings, Funerals and Churchyard matters.
Blean supports Canterbury Food Bank with weekly food collections.
St Cosmus and St Damian in the Blean, to give it its full title, is linked to the parish of Ambatondrazaka in Madagsacar, where we help with evangelist training, feeding programmes for school chilldren and health work generally. We have helped Ambatondrazaka with funds to build their churches; they in turn show their support and encouragement by their active Christian ministry. Fund raising for the projects we sponsor in Madagascar come from donations at regular lunches, an activity that has strengthened links between our congregation, through a ministry of hospitality.
Set among fields, Saint Cosmus and Saint Damian church at Blean has many unusual and interesting features. First mentioned in Domesday Book, the church site originally formed part of Roman villa complex, something that may account for its dedication. Today all that can be seen of a connection with this villa are some Roman bricks in the west wall and evidence of a moat around the churchyard.
Rebuilt in 1233 and subsequently modified through the centuries, the church has a magnificent crown post roof and a fine stained glass windows by Henry Holiday. The setting is therefore rural and inviting, while we complement this with an active congregation.
The church is an ideal venue for weddings and baptisms and we would be very happy to discuss these with you.
Safeguarding of Children and Vulnerable Adults
Details of our safeguarding policy and relevant contacts can be found here: