The church was consecrated on 12th September 1138. It houses the relics of Folkestone's Patron Saint, St Eanswythe, an Anglo-Saxon Kentish princess who established a nunnery on a site near the current church in around 650 AD, the one of the first religious communities for women in England. She died c 660 AD. Her reliquary was moved to what is now the chancel of the present church on 12 September 1138.
We are now back in our usual service pattern, please check the Services and Events tab.
COVID STRATEGY FOR SERVICES at ST MARY & ST EANSWYTHE
* Presiding priests will not invite people to move to share the Peace physically with those not sitting near them.
* Priests will not shake hands with people as they leave, because the risk of passing infections from person to person is too great.
* The congregation are asked to continue to practice social distancing in family and friendship groups, and to use hand gel.
* We will leave the seat cushions where they are to encourage social distancing.
* We have re-introduced refreshments after the Sunday 10:30 service.
*Communion will be in the form of the Host dipped in the Chalice by the Priest, or by Host only if requested.
* A crucifer will lead the procession and recession and Altar Servers may assist those Presiding priests who are happy for them to do so.* We will communicate our expectations clearly through signage, notice sheets and announcements.
* We will not re-introduce a collection using offering bags or plates, or an offertory procession at this stage. Donations are welcome in our collection box or card donation station.
VISITING ST MARY & ST EANSWYTHE'S CHURCHWe are open for Visiting and private prayer
. The church is open on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays
from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m.
However, as we rely on volunteers, there are some days we can't open. For the present, we are unable to open on Mondays
If you visit for prayer or services you MUST
· Observe social distancing
· Wear a face mask
· Use the hand gel provided
see the Services and Events tab for the link to our youtube and facebook video services and reflections
You are very welcome at our Advent and Christmas services and events – bring your family and friends or come along on your own. Whether it will be your first time at church or you have been before, we look forward to welcoming you!
St Mary & St Eanswythe Charity No. 1192616