St. Nicholas Sholden is a small village church located on the Deal-Sandwich road and until 1985 had its own vicar but since then has been part of the Parish of Upper Deal and Great Mongeham.
Services and service times may be found in the What's On? news sheet that is uploaded to this site weekly. We look forward to welcoming you.
The church has close links with Sholden CofE Primary School located just 2-300 metres along the Deal-Sandwich road and because of this link many of the children and their parents attend the church for school services.
The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an example of the thirteenth century in its present state. It is built of flint with Caen stone dressings and Hythe stone buttresses. It shows in the flint work patches of reconstruction. Of its foundation a single fragment of moulding built in as a top stone of a putt log hole high up in the north wall might be 12th century work and so suggest that there was a small church of that date.
The original Deal to Sandwich road passed the church through what is now the present graveyard with the doorway being on the north side of the church. This doorway has been enclosed and is now the vicar’s vestry. The current road or turnpike was approved by parliament in 1795 and it was constructed shortly afterwards deviating from the old path at Jenkins Well. This is between the public entrance to Warden House School and the hairdressers.
We are always grateful for all donations towards the upkeep of this historical building.