St Thomas a Becket's, Farlam is the parish church for a rural fellside parish that extends from Milton in the west to Midgeholme in the east. It sits dramatically on a knoll on the downward slopes of the Pennines. The main village in the parish is Hallbankgate, there also villages at Tindale and at Farlam. NB the church is not in Farlam village itself, but is at Kirkhouse, a quarter of a mile off the A689.
The Church was built in 1860 (for further info. and photo see website - http://farlamparishchurch.co.uk ) and replaced an earlier medieval building. It is large and spacious for a rural church - built when the parish was much more populous and included several mines and quarries which have since closed. The building is structurally sound but requires extensive and expensive repairs if it is to remain open. A Restoration Group is seeking grants. A large churchyard includes a memorial to Joseph Bell, Chief Engineer on the Titanic.
Farlam Church is one of the ten churches in the Eden, Gelt and Irthing Team Ministry. In the the north the parishes of Brampton, Irthington, Crosby and Scaleby are served bythe Revd Stephen Robertson, the Team Rector. To the south six parishes of Hayton, Talkin, Farlam, Castle Carrock, Cumwhitton and Cumrew are served by the Revd Edward Johnsen, the Team Vicar.
Services at Farlam: First Sunday of the month - 10am Holy Communion
Third Sunday of the month - 10am Holy Communion
The main festivals are all celebrated with services at Farlam. Monthly youth groups meet in Brampton - contact Edward Johnsen.
In recent years the church has been re-ordered. There are three toilets situated at the back under a gallery. A basic kitchen has been added at the top of the north aisle. The nave and chancel have been opened up.