We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
A church was first established on this site in the aftermath of the Dissolution of the Monasteries when Cartmel Priory was dissolved as part of the Henrician Reformation and a chapel was built on the present site using materials from Cartmel. This occured around 1537. After three restorations the church was opened as a church by the Bishop of Carlisle on May 29th 1897 and dedicated to St Mary the Virgin.The Lych Gate was erected as a War Memorial in 1927. It was constructed of locally grown oak grown in the parish.The churchyard contains numerous headstones and also some vaults, some of which are hewn in the rock.
The church community at St Mary's is friendly and inclusive. We welcome families, walkers and visitors. Most of our services are Holy Communion. Members of the congregation are involved in reading the lessons, the psalm and administering the chalice.
1st Sunday in month - Communion by extension 11am
2nd Sunday in month - United srvice with Finsthwaite and Haverthwaite 11am
3rd Sunday in month - Holy Communion 9.30am
4th Sunday in month - Holy Communion 11am
We are now in an interegnum and while every effort is made to try to adhere to the above services it is not always possible. Contact the churchwardens or see the notice board for up to date information. We apologise for the inconvenience but some chages are inevitable.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below