Church of England Diocese of Carlisle Egremont

About Us

Built in 1874, St John's Church was founded to provide a more local church for the rapidly growing communities of Moor Row, Bigrigg, Woodend and Scalegill as the iron mining industry changed agricultural hamlets into small industrial residential villages. Built midway between the hamlets, on a site donated by the landowner of the adjoining estate, Jeffersons of Springfield, it is a solidly built sandstone structure, sufficiently well-designed and constructed as to be a Grade II National Heritage classified building.