About Us<div>St John’s Church Grid Ref: 89/229316.
In the 15th century the parishioners, probably tired of the long walk to St Bega’s Church, petitioned for permission to build a Chapel-of-Ease at the crossroads nearby. Still a walk from the village proper, nevertheless this served well for some centuries. It still stands and was used as the Church Rooms until 2018. St John’s, was built in 1878 to replace the Chapel-of-Ease. It was founded, funded, and furnished by prominent local families from Armathwaite Hall and Bassenfell Manor.</div></div>
St John’s is a large airy church, surrounded by a good-sized burial ground.
Relations with the Methodist Chapel in Bassenthwaite are excellent and we share service venues every month for our worship services.
The Church is open all day.
A Loop System is installed.
To Make Donations one can do so by text as we have teamed up with Vodafone. Simply text BASS05 followed by a space and then the amount you wish donate (eg £2, £5 or £10) to 70070.