We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
St Cuthbert’s Church lies midway between High and Low Lorton. It is reached by footpaths from the two villages, and by the ancient Crossgates Lane. The earliest known record of a Church in Lorton is a mention in the Pipe Rolls of 1198. The church was rebuilt in 1807-9. The chancel is a later addition, with the East window inserted as a memorial to Anthony Steel-Dixon of Lorton Hall. The window was made by Mayer of Munich. The tower was rebuilt in 1996.
The building has fine acoustics, and a number of concerts by top-ranking performers have taken place.
The little church is simple and unpretentious, but has a wonderful set of kneelers and communion rail cushions. These have been designed and worked by a dedicated group of Lorton Valley ladies, who have spent some 4600 hours creating the detailed needlework. A book relating the story of the kneelers is kept in the Church for the benefit of visitors.
Mary Robinson, the ‘Beauty of Buttermere’, married her imposter husband at Lorton Church on the 2nd of October 1802.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below