St Barnabas Church History
1865 Church committee in Hope decided a church should be built in Bradwell. The site was bought from Col. Charles Leslie, owner of Hassop Hall for £76.17s.6d.
1866 Contract with Ash & Clayton of Sheffield to build Church for £1,252 15s.
1867 Foundation Stone laid by W, Jackson. Esq. M. P.
1868 Church consecrated. Collection for service £26,00. First seating 120 rush-bottomed chairs costing £10.10s
The Chancel Screens, Pulpit, Communion Rail and Sedilia were given by Rev. R. B. Somerset Dean of Trinity College Cambridge, who was born in Bradwell in 1834.
1881 Vicarage built on land given by Samuel Fox, a Bradwell resident and founder of the steel works.
1888 A Tower was added built by Hedley Hill of Tideswell who carved the gargolyes. Cost £77.00. The Clock in the Tower was bought with money left by Old Benny, a hawker who had lived in a hut on Bradwell Hills. (£150-£200)
The chairs were replaced by Pews made in the workshops of Miss Alison Darneley’s grandfather.
1931 alter and Reredos given by Mrs fanny Jeffrey.
1938 Mrs. Jeffrey also donated a Peal of Bells and Chimes for the Clock in memory of her uncle Samuel Fox. In order to operate the Bells, electricity was needed and this was installed in November 1938 at a charge of 1/2d per unit. The Bells were for the first time on Christmas Day 1938.
1991 It was decided to add a Meeting Room, Kitchen, Cloakroom and Gallery in the West End of the Church. The total cost was £29,886.00. Of this £10,082.00 came from Village Lotteries.