The parish church of Saint Lawrence, Whitwell, is typical of the style of church built within 100 years after the Battle of Hastings. Most of the present church dates from the 12th century when the Normans built the nave with the round arches and massive pillars, the clerestory, the tower (except for the 15th century belfry), the great chancel arch and most of the chancel. The transepts were added between 1300 and 1350 to give the church the shape of the cross. The church is built from stone quarried locally and from quarries on the outskirts of the parish; it is Grade II listed.
It has all the characteristics of Norman architecture, namely huge round pillars, beautiful semi-circular arches, high roof and a square tower. During the 14th century the church underwent a number of alterations, as well as acquiring additional features. The side aisles were enlarged and the windows are of the 14th century perpendicular period. The two transepts were added, the height of the tower was increased and the South porch was reconstructed.