Church of England Diocese of Derby Scropton

St Paul's Parish Church, Scropton (and Foston)

The church of St Paul was rebuilt in 1855-56. It has a prominent tower with a pyramid roof. The old school house also has a tower and was also built in 1856. The church contains 16 memorial headstones supplied by the Imperial War Graves Commission to mark the graves of airmen from overseas who died whilst serving with the RAF Training Squad based at nearby Church Broughton airfield.

It also contains the tomb chest of Nicholas Agard (died 1510) and his 2 wifes. His son Arthur Agard (1540-1615) was an authority on ancient manuscripts and heraldry and a founder member of the Society of Antiquaries. He is buried at Westminster Abbey.

Get in touch

Revd Dr John Vickerstaff

The Old Rectory Main Road Sudbury
07565825250
01283 585098

Our website