WE NOW ARE IN INTERREGNUM WITH NO PRIEST IN CHARGE. During this time please contact the Churchwarden with any queries regarding Services/pastoral care, Baptisms, Marriages, Burials, churchyard matters, etc.
St Mary's Church, Coton in the Elms serves a village of some 800 residents is situated within the National Forerst boundary and is midway between the M42/A42 junction and the A38. The village is located at the furthest point from the sea (Daily Mail/OS 2000) being 66miles from the nearest coast.</span>
The church, built in 1846, has a tall steeple visible from some distance. The church was renovated in 2000 with aid of lottery funding and it now has disabled toilet facilities and a small kitchen. Due to generous donations we now have a PA system with hearing loop and, from donations at baptism services, we also have a baby changing facility.
The pews in the Nave were removed in 2000 and replaced with individual chairs on a fitted carpet. The Chancel can be curtained off and this enables a large area to be used for social purposes such as coffee mornings, Rainbows/Brownies meetings, conferences and training, whist drives, Bingo, concerts, suppers and other entertainment. The church is available for private functions by arrangement at a reasonable fee with free use of seating, tables and the kitchen facilities.
Some of the older gravestones were removed leaving a large grassed area on which the Village Fete can be held. The southern part of the Peak District, some 30 miles away, is visible from the East end of the churchyard.
Services 1st and 3rd Sunday 6pm in Summertime OR 11:15am Wintertime
2nd and 4th Sunday 11.15am
Part of a benefice with St Laurence, Walton upon Trent, St Mary's, Rosliston, Immanuel, Stapenhill and St John the Baptist, Croxall.