St. Paul's Church is the Parish Church for the villages of East Hedleyhope, Esh Winning , Waterhouses and the small settlement of Hamilton Row in the Diocese of Durham. The nave and chancel were constructed in 1868; the west end porch and sacristy were constructed in 1883; the choir vestry in 1894 and the north aisle (now Lady Chapel) between 1895 and 1915. The church is built in local colliery fire-clay bricks produced at the Pease Colliery brickworks in this [art of Durham.
Our main Sunday Service is the 10.30am Parish Mass which uses the Church of England's Common Worship Order One Communion Service. Vestments are worn.
We are part of a group of three parishes; our two sister parishes being St. Michael & All Angels Esh & Hamsteels and All Saints Langley Park.