We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
St Cuthbert's Church is a Grade II listed building. It is plain and typical of a stone structure built in 1832 to accommodate up to 200 people. There are no longer burials in the churchyard, but there is a new cemetry at the end of the village.
St Cuthbert's is a country parish of linear development stretching from the Four Lane Ends, near Escomb to Windmill and Morley. It covers an area of 10 square miles and is situated three miles west of Bishop Auckland. It has a population of approximately 2500.
The church is one of a group of 5 churches; The Saxon Church-Escomb; St Cuthbert's church- Etherley; St James'church- Hamsterley, St Paul's church-Witton Park and St Philip and St James' church- Witton le Wear.
Priest in Charge: Revd Elisheva Mechanic
Churchwarden: Mr Barrie Kirton
Churchwarden: Mrs Sheila Mulgrew
Treasurer: Mr Barrie Kirton
Secretary: Mrs Cynthia Knight
Lay Reader: Mr Derek Jago
The church supports Tearfund, Christian Aid Samaritans Purse, The Butterwick Hospice and the Lesotho Durham Link Project
The church has close links with the local Methodist Church in South Road, and share in some joint special services at Christmas and Easter.
We run a Messy Church on the 2nd Tuesday in the month during term time.
Baptisms usually take place during or after Sunday morning services. Other services are arranged as required.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below