The mediaeval structure of the church was substantially rebuilt in 1846-7 and is listed grade II. A previous vicar of Bishopton, John Wilson, was father to Leonard Wilson, Bishop of Singapore and wartime internee. Leonard Wilson's ashes together with many other members of the family are interred in the churchyard. The church enjoys strong links with the primary school in the village.
St Peter’s is part of a group of five churches now working together as a single parish. The group also includes All Saints Great Stainton, St Cuthbert Redmarshall, St John the Divine Stillington, and St James Grindon, all within Stockton deanery.