St John’s is a distinctive red brick church in keeping with the character of the Victorian portions of this industrial village, but surrounded by newer housing. Built in 1879 at the initiative of William Cassidi, then Vicar of Grindon, it is listed grade II. Ronald Jasper, a former incumbent, was a distinguished liturgist, and later became Dean of Westminster Abbey. The church enjoys strong links with William Cassidi CE voluntary-aided Primary School.
St John's is part of a group of five churches now working together as a single parish. The group also includes St Peter Bishopton, St Cuthbert Redmarshall, All Saints Great Stainton and St James Thorpe Thewles, all within Stockton deanery.