We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
St Johns is the Anglican Parish Church of Birtley in the Deanery of Chester-le-Street and Diocese of Durham.
The Church was built in 1848 and is mock Norman in design. It was extended in the later 1800's when two trancepts and two vesteries were added.
In the mid 1960's a nave Sanctuary, altar and altar rail were added.
In the 1990's quite extensive refurbishment of the building was carried out and some further reordering, particularly of the entrance and west end vestry areas.
The tower houses 6 bells and a clock with quarter and hour chiming.
A two manual 'Tracker action' organ is situated in the Chancel.
The regular Church congregation numbers around 100, worshipping over a range of weekly Services. The main Sunday 10.00am family Service attracks 40-50 most Sundays..
There are normally refreshments in the nearby Church Hall after this Service. Toilets are also available in the Hall.
The town has a number of residential care homes and sheltered accomadations. We have quite an extended congregation through our regular (normally monthly) visits and worship at these places.
For more detailed information on St Johns and its ministries, please visit our wesite.
Chester Le Street
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below