If you want to trace information from church records contact the Vicar.
Please note that only the current baptism and marriage registers are kept in the church. All other records are held at the Durham County Records Office at County Hall, Durham DH1 5UL - 0300 026 7619
The Parish of St Ninian, Harlow Green
St Ninian’s Church, Harlow Green, is one of the newest churches in Durham Diocese being built and dedicated in 1967 but not consecrated until 2007. It was created from St Thomas’s Parish, Eighton Banks as new housing was created in the Low Fell area. In turn, St Thomas’ was created from Lamesley Parish in 1853. Harlow Green’s vicarage was not built until the 1980’s but is now the site of the Bishop of Jarrow’s House.
Services began in the home of the first vicar, Revd J Flint, in 1965 and as the congregation grew were held in the former Harlow Green Junior School.
The church is built in brick with a roof sloping up to the sanctuary and orientated on the diagonal.
It is furnished in light oak with a distinctive communion rail and lectern. Connected and adjacent is a hall and kitchen. The approaching lawns form a wide grassed area in a largely wooded and tree-lined roads.
While both churches were in long interregna they decide to form a United Benefice (still two separate churches but with the same vicar!) in 1998 building on many years of mutual cooperation between clergy and congregations.