What We Do Now
We are a ‘Church of England’ church within the Diocese of Durham. The building is small and is set back from the road, but the blue church noticeboard opposite Lidl will help you spot this unassuming and much-loved church.
If you have not been inside for a number of years you may be surprised to discover that the heavy wooden choir and clergy furniture, together with the pews, have been taken out to create a flexible space better able to serve the community.
The soft cushioned chairs can be moved aside or re-arranged to make space for informal worship, children’s activities, and social events such as welcoming the community for hot drinks on a cold evening after the switching on of the Christmas Tree lights in December.
Sunday services generally have the expected formal lay-out of chairs with a central aisle, although there is an occasional special Sunday when we do something different.
A brief history.
In 1892 the Rev Canon H. B. Carr, rector of Whickham opened negotiations with Sir Henry A Clavering in order to purchase a small amount of land, including an existing building known as Claxton Hall, for the purpose of opening a small mission in Swalwell village.
In 1893 Rev Carr left the property and land to a group of trustees with a view to building a new parish church.
The new church was built, linked to Claxton Hall, which later became known locally as the Church Hall and on the 15th December 1905 the church was consecrated. The first baptism took place later that month on the 21st, and the first marriage took place on the 22nd February 1906.
The church was built joined to a row of houses, now demolished, leaving a gable end to the church on the east side.
Our story in recent years.
The Church hall was demolished in 1998 to create an enclosed garden. In 1999 a new vestry and kitchen was constructed inside the main building along with toilet facilities and a storage gallery. In 2003 Swalwell church became part of the new Parish of Blaydon and Swalwell and continues to serve the community, as the only place of Christian worship in Swalwell. The re-ordering of the interior of Holy Trinity was completed in 2009.
The church was completely re-wired in 2012 and new lighting Installed along with new visual and audio technology. The programme of updating was completed in 2013, when the Church was redecorated.
In 2019 after a wide ranging discussion within the Deanery it was decided that the churches in the area should be realigned which resulted in a separation of the current Parish. Blaydon and Swalwell churches became part of new groupings and Holy Trinity Church, Swalwell became part of the East of Deanery Grouping with Whickham, Hillside and Dunston. Each church in the group retained it’s PCC and financial independence but there is a strong desire to work together, sharing resources and activities to the benefit of the whole group.
Frequently asked questions
Does Holy Trinity have a nursery during Worship Services?
We are keen to welcome parents with children and there is a section at the rear of the church providing space for them and enjoy time during the service. Parents are expected to supervise their children appropriately.
What is the appropriate dress code for church?
We encourage people to ‘come as they are’. For some this may mean jeans or a t-shirt or something more formal. Our monthly ‘Fourth @ Four gathering this is a more informal service where people have a chance to meet with one another.
Does Holy Trinity have a Sunday School?
Currently we do not have room for a Sunday School but every month we have a ‘Messy Church’ gathering on a Saturday morning and children and their parents/guardians are warmly invited to join and have a time of fun and food together – Check out times on our ‘Prayer and Worship’ section