The church is normally open every day between 09.00 and 16.00 during the year with the hours of locking up during British summer time at 18,00hrs
St Nicholas is the Parish church of Arrington. It is the smallest church building in the Orwell Group and serves a rural community of some 400 people. The Orwell group of parishes work together led by one priest, and events such as 5th and 2nd Sunday rotate around the group while some other services are also shared (eg Healing, All Souls, and the various Easter services etc.). This offers a diversity of approaches and parts of congregations can be found moving around the parishes. Each parish has a Eucharist one Sunday in the month and at least one other service in the morning or the evening.
Currently St Nicholas has a Eucharist at 09.30am on the 4th Sunday of the month and an evening service on the 3rd Sunday of the month. St Nicholas also has an informal mid week Eucharist on the third Thursday of the month at 10.30am in the Clifden Close Community Rooms in Clifden Close.
The church of St Nicholas is situated off the main road on one of the highest points in the village at the core of the Late Anglo-Saxon settlement. The Roman road called later Ermine Street had a significant effect on the community and became another the focus for village in the 17th century largely centred around the Hardwicke Arms a former Coaching Inn (which the church has strong relationships with) and the Arrington Gate to Wimpole Park. Part of the Eccliastical parish of Arrington still remains in Wimpole Park.
The Church in Arrington may have been founded by Aelfric a Saxon thegn or Theodred a Saxon Bishop of London although the current building only dates to around 1250 -1300 when the nuns of Ickleton Priory held it patronage and land in the parish. The site has been then, a place of prayer and reflection, for centuries although it has had its fare share of challenges as the community faced up to considerable social and theological changes.
As a grade 1 listed building it is of National importance, and has a medieval chancel of the 13th century with all its original window openings, a double piscina, priests door and low window. The Tower and the arcades of the Nave are also of this date, although the aisles have been removed and the font may have come from the previous church on the site. The bell frame is medieval and the single remaining bell is by John Dier (1583). Arrington is unusual for this part of Cambridgeshire in having a small spire that was built in 1750 by one of the carpenters of Wimpole Hall. In 2013 a wall painting of a standing figure was found on the west wall of the Nave which is also thought to be C13.
The churchyard may relate back to pre-christian periods and lithic finds have been discovered in and around the churchyard. Although the monuments are mostly 19th century there are some interesting ones that relate to the early police forces founded in Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire. The churchyard is also being managed to increase biodiversity. The church building also exceeds the best practice model for energy consumption.
The church is open each day throughout the year for private prayer, quiet reflection or simply to come and visit. Refreshments are served after morning and other main services. The church is heated for services when needed.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below