Open throughout the year during daylight hours, the churchyard is open at all reasonable times

Getting here


All Saints is the Parish church of Croydon. It is a church in the Orwell Group and serves a rural community of some 200 people. The Orwell group of parishes work together led by one priest, and events such as 5th and 2nd Sunday rotate around the group while some other services are also shared (eg Healing, All Souls, and the various Easter services etc.). This offers a diversity of approaches and parts of congregations can be found moving around the parishes. Each parish has a Eucharist one Sunday in the month and at least one other service in the moring or the evening.

Currently All Saints Croydon has a Eucharist at 09.30am on the 1st Sunday of the month and another All age morning service at 11am on the 3rd Sunday of the month (this alternates between All Age morning service and an All Age eucharist.  It has no evening service.



Croydon cum Clopton were originally two communities and were joined together in 1561. This was due to the de-population and aggressive enclosures of Clopton by a London Lawyer, John Fisher. In fact Clopton had a market in 12th century which would have given it the status of a town at that time.

In the 11th century both Croydon and Clopton had above average populations. However like many villages in the area there was slow decline in population. Today Clopton is a ‘lost village’ although its site can still be visited by following the bridleway that extends westwards from Croydon High Street.

The Church of All Saints serves a modern community of 200 people within a large rural parish. The present building, dating from substantially the 14th century, also has a 12th century font and a 13th Century south arcade that indicate an earlier building. Its crazy leanings and uneven floor all offer a picturesque image of a medieval church but are in fact due to the lack of substantial foundations and movement of the land around it.

The church also retains its Post Reformation Pews and a pulpit made up of the 17th century parts of the original pulpit.

The Downing family (who owned and built Downing Street in London and founded Downing College in Cambridge) had extensive interests in Croydon and they totally rebuilt the chancel in the 1685. Beneath the Chancel is a crypt for the Downing family.

Services are all Common Worship or All Age. Refreshments are served after the main services in the morning.  Heating is limited.

Church Lane

If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below