We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
The church of St Remigius Water Newton, in its idyllic setting among the trees beside the bank of the River Nene, is mentioned in the Doomsday Book survey of 1086 . 12th century stones have been reused or built into later walls, but nothing of this date remains in-situ. The church chancel and nave were rebuilt in the 13th century and the aisles added in the 14th century. There was considerable essential restoration work in the Victorian era between 1887 and 1892. The church has many interesting features including a Roman coffin, a niche with a medieval figure in the tower west external west wall and an effigy from c1300. St Remigius, was bishop of Rheims and was responsible for the conversion of Clovis, King of the Franks in AD496. Water Newton is world famous because of the discovery in 1975 of the 4th century Water Newton Treasure at the site of the nearby Roman town of Durobrivae, on the edge of the parish. The treasure is the earliest know Christian mass silver in the world and is now in the British Museum. The church is associated with Castor Church and two of the Norman bell openings in the spire were reused “zig-zag” style windows from the Norman apse of Castor Church taken from Castor when the chancel of Castor was extended in the early English period. Water Newton shares a parish priest with Castor. There is communion service at 9am on the fifth Sunday of the month and specail services as advertized. The church is always openduring the day.
Great North Road
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below