About UsSt John's Church, Hempton
1st & 3rd Sunday of month
4th Sunday of month
Hempton Church, or to give it its full name, The Church of St John the Evangelist, has seen many ups and downs since it was founded in 1851. In the 1980s things looked very down and there was ugly talk amongst the ecclesiastical authorities of selling it off. That was when the people of Hempton rose up and, at a meeting crammed to overflowing, let the powers that be know in no uncertain terms that they wanted their village church to stay alive. Thus it was that the Friends of Hempton Church was formed by a group of concerned Hemptonians to raise money and help keep the Church a continuing part of Hempton's existence. Much hard work was put into fund raising and in 1995 the Charity Commission recognised the Friends.
Attached to the church is the old Victorian schoolroom and one of the committee's major efforts has been to convert this into a worthwhile village hall. Enough money has been raised by fund-raising and grants to modernise this by building on kitchen and toilet facilities and this work has now been completed.
The aim of the Friends is to see the church prosper as a living place of worship as well as to provide a secular meeting-place that will be the focus of the village. Everyone is invited to become a member and original ideas for fund-raising and other activities are always welcome.