Benefice of St Mary’s Henley with Remenham
Parish Safeguarding Policy
1. We are committed to:
• The care, nurture of, and respectful pastoral ministry with, all children and all adults
• The safeguarding and protection of all children, young people and adults when they are
• The establishing of safe, caring communities which provide a loving environment where there
is a culture of ‘informed vigilance’ as to the dangers of abuse.
2. We will carefully select and train all those with any responsibility within the Church, in line with safer
recruitment principles, including the use of Disclosure and Barring Service criminal records checks.
3. We will respond without delay to every complaint made which suggests that an adult, child or young
person may have been harmed, co-operating with the police and local authority in any investigation
and we will have a clear reporting procedure in place.
4. We will seek to work with anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with him or her an appropriate
ministry of informed pastoral care.
5. We will seek to challenge any abuse of power, especially by anyone in a position of trust.
6. We will seek to offer pastoral care and support, including supervision and referral to the proper
authorities, to any member of our church community known to have offended against a child, young
person or vulnerable adult.
7. In all these principles we will follow statute, guidance and recognised good practice.
8. We will advise the Diocese which Registered Body we use to process applications for Disclosure and
Barring Service criminal records checks.
9. We will advise the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser if we receive a Disclosure which is ‘blemished’ or
10. We will review this policy annually, check that our policies are up to date, and supply a copy of the
updated policy statement to the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser.
Our Safeguarding Officer is:
Mrs Sue Hockley, Parish Office, Hart Street, Henley. Telephone: 01491 575896
Rector: Rev Jeremy Tayler
Churchwarden: Mrs Susan Hockley ‘
Churchwarden: Mrs Carol Brook-Partridge