This church replaces the original 14th century building that was sited about half a mile away from Poulton Priory. That church was also dedicated to St Michael but had reached such a serious state of disrepair that it was decided to build a new parish church sited more closely to the village centre.
The present church being consecrated and opened in 1874. William Butterfield was the architect, better known for his habitual interest in the development of constructional polychrome brickwork, but using for this building the stone which is traditional to the district.
The cost of it all was noted at the time as being £2,175!
The church consists of a large nave, with a five-bay arcade and a north aisle with a Lady Chapel at its east end which was furnished and decorated in 1973. The south porch is partly built with stone from the old Priory church. There is also a spacious chancel, and the high altar ornaments were originally designed by Mr Alan Rome the architect in 1963 with Butterfield in mind. There is a western bellcote for three bells set in two tiers, the bells bear the following inscriptions:
Richard Roberts and William Tipper 1643
David Moulder and William Lane 1736
Giles Horsewell and Thomas By 1671
There is a Chalice and Paten in regular use at Holy Communion which dates from 1569.