St Mary & All Saints
‘The Ringstone in Aveland Group of Churches is committed to safeguarding the welfare of all young people and vulnerable adults’.
The Parish Church of St. Mary and All Saints stands at the end of its own lane, some quarter of a mile to the West of the village, which once surrounded it.
The Heathcote family acquired the estate, which included Kirkby Underwood, in 1712 and to improve their shooting they moved the village a quarter of a mile eastwards under the 1803 Enclosures Act.
In the Domesday Book of 1086, the village name was CHERCHEBI. It is believed that the name Kirkby was developed from the old Norse name KIRKUIBYR, which means a village with a church.
The old name for the church was All Hallows. No one is quite sure when it was changed to St. Mary and All Saints. Because of its size (one acre) and shape, it is thought to have been a Pagan site before the arrival of Christianity.
The William Hill organ was purchased from Rippingale church and installed in 1908. St Mary’s is fortunate to have 4 working bells, which are rung before services.</span>
The churchyard is a mass of colour each spring from primroses, cowslips, oxlips and the false oxlip.
Over the last few years there has been a steady increase in Sunday attendance. The congregation is of a mixed age Group, social and economic background, supported by members of other parishes within the Group and are used to flexible forms of worship.
The PCC and Village Hall Committee work together on all major fund-raising activities such as the Summer Fayre, Open Gardens, Annual Produce show. Most events are held in the Village Hall but the church building is occasionally used for additional fund-raising events.