Welcome to St Andrews Potterhanworth'Our purpose is to grow in faithful worship, in confident discipleship and in joyful service of our community.’
St Andrew’s Church is situated in a leafy, central part of the village. It displays the features of a mediaeval place of worship, but nothing remains of the pre-conquest church. There was a church in the 14th century but only the Tower survived.
Years of neglect caused the church to fall into ruin but in 1749, when it was rebuilt, the Tower was preserved and extra pinnacles added.
The church again presented a dilapidated appearance after a further period of neglect without a resident rector but fortunately in the year 1847, a young and enthusiastic parson, called the Rev AH Anson, arrived. After building a new rectory and a school, he started rebuilding work on the church, again preserving the Tower, with an opening service being held in 1856. One of the church bells, the Culfrey Bell, was recast in 1897 to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, along with a new church clock. The inscription of the Culfrey Bell reads: “The old order changeth yielding place to new and God fulfills himself in many ways, lest our good custom should corrupt the world”.