A brief history and description of the church building:
The Anglican church of St Vincent’s is a magnificent Grade 1 listed cruciform church, dating mainly from the 14<sup>th</sup>century with a most unusual double nave, divided by a two and a half arch slender arcade. The finely decorated West Front is built of alternating bands of Ancaster limestone and the local ironstone. The elegant tower and crocketed spire with its marked entasis and flying buttresses form a prominent and much-loved landmark on the Lincoln Cliff.
The church is of particular architectural significance as it offers a rare glimpse of the fascinating transition of architectural styles from Early English (lancets – south transept) to Geometrical (circles and trefoils – north aisle window) and finally to the flowing tracery of the late Decorated period (ogees and mouchettes in one south window) circa 1200 – 1350.
The north aisle (now known as the Arnhem aisle) was built to a design by Sir Gilbert Scott in the 1860’s. On the 31<sup>st</sup> of December 1859, the spire was struck by lightning and then rebuilt, twelve feet shorter, again by Sir Gilbert Scott.
St Vincent’s church has been adopted by the 216 (Parachute)Signals Squadron as their spiritual home, following Operation Market Garden during WW2. The Squadron was billeted in the village prior to the drop. Two stained glass windows in the Arnhem aisle are dedicated to the Regiment and there is a carpet woven with the Regiment’s emblem. September sees the return of past and present serving members of the 216, along with their families and friends, for a Service of Remembrance that is a culmination of a weekend of activities involving the local community.
Over recent years St Vincent's Church has undergone extensive repair work. Firstly work to the spire (partly as a result of some weakening caused by an earthquake on 27th February 2008) and more recently to the roof of the Nave and South porch and improved access and a disabled toilet with a baby changing facility. Much of this has been funded by The Heritage Lottery Fund. The church had to be closed for one year whilst much of the work was completed. A service to celebrate its re-opening was led by Christopher, Bishop of Lincoln on Monday, November 14th 2016.
There is an excellent, full colour church guide available, also a NADFAS Church Trail question and answer sheet to engage and inform both children and adults.
St Vincent's Church, Caythorpe Parochial Church Council:
Rector: Rev. Stuart Hadley:
Lay Vice-Chair of the PCC: Mrs Janet Avison
Church Wardens: Mrs Jo Russell 01400 273551
Mr John Scott 01400 272974
Deanery Synod Reps: Ms Susanne Wills
Mr Mike Bavin
Hon. Secretary: Mrs Judith Scott
Hon. Treasurer: Mr Richard Johnson
Members of the PCC:
Mrs Janet Hoddell
Mrs Cheryl Levick
Mrs Liz Moses