About Us

There was no church in Brigg until 1699, it was a small hamlet and the nearest church was Wrawby but as the town began to develop because of the river and increased trade, and to counteract the influence of Non-conformists, some local men secured the land and monies to build a chapel-of-ease in Brigg. From 1699 to 1716 there was a daily service and a weekly sermon conducted by the Master of Brigg Grammar School (now Sir John Nelthorpe School) and after this date by the Vicar of Wrawby or his Curate.

The 1699 building was smaller than the present church and was in the classical style of architecture. (A small model stands on the altar of the Children’s Chapel in the church). This church served the population of Brigg until the 1840’s, but as Brigg was beginning to expand even more local people thought a larger church was needed. After appeals and discussions the present building was finally erected in 1843. It was still a Chapel-of-ease until 1872 when it became a parish church with its own vicar Rev’d W.J.Wylie.

The building remained the same but with internal changes. New pews were inserted, the original stained glass window remains and additional windows have been added over the years which enhance the church, namely the Brieley memorial west window, the Richards east window and two south windows, the Wallhead and Robinson windows, all named in memory of people who dedicated time and commitment for the benefit of the church and congregation.

The church in the centre of Brigg is a hub of activity and is open to welcome visitors Thursday mornings/special occasions or normal service times. We have morning worship on the second Sunday of the month and Holy Communion on the forth Sunday of the month. We are committed to outreach and have volunteers who practice Shared Baptism / Home Communion, Sick and Bereavement Visiting and Counselling.

We are currently in interregnum. The benefice consists  of St John the Evangelist Brigg, St Mary the Virgin Wrawby, All Saints Church Cadney, St Andrew's Bonby and St Clements Worlaby. 

For any enquiries regarding Weddings or Baptisms, please email [email protected]

Please note: If tracing your family tree, please contact the archives at Lincoln. Only the current registers are held in the parish