St. Michael's is Grade II*listed
There is no mention of the church in the Domesday book, but there are indications that the first building was early Norman. The church is first documented in 1280.
The church is constructed with greenstone with brickwork and ashlar dressings. The roof is slate.
There is a western tower, nave with south aisle, chancel, vestry, and south porch.
The tower is of three stages dating from the 15th century, it was largely rebuilt in the 19th century. It has a plain parapet and crocketted pinnacles.
There is a date stone of 1684 on a plaque which marks the rebuilding of the tower which had collapsed. On the second stage of the tower there is another date stone of 1894 from when the upper part was rebuilt.
There a three bay south arcade with octagonal piers from the 15th century.
The nave also has three 19th-century dormer windows on the south side which were in inserted in 1911.
The chancel was rebuilt in 1870 by James Fowler, the 15th century chancel arch being retained. There is a modern rood loft and screen, the original rood stairs are still present. Either side of the rood are two wooden carved Angels, probably dating from the 15th century and taken from Louth church.
In the 19th century porch there is a Norman holy water stoup.
There is a 14th century octagonal font set on a Minton tile dias.
In 1877 the church underwent major restoration which included new roofs, porch, installation of heating, new floors plus other improvements. This was not finished until 1894 due to financial issues.