St. Peter & St. Paul's church at Skendleby is listed in the Domesday survey of 1086, when the profits of the church went to Bardney Abbey as part of its great estates.
Much of the present fabric dates to the 13th century, particularly the local greenstone chancel. The church was restored in 1876 and a recently discovered early pre-restoration photograph has helped us to understand the changes made at that time.
The interior of the church features a large and much admired stained glass west window, one of only two Ascension windows in the deanery. There is a fine medieval font, circled with bosses of foliage, animal heads and one male human head - a definite portrait - maybe of the sculptor themself?
The roof of the church was completely renewed in 2012, after a long campaign of fund raising and obtaining of grants. The final flourish was recently added - with the replacement of the newly re-gilded cockerel weathervane on top of the tower roof.