Toynton was known as 'Totintun' at the time of the Domesday book, which means 'the farmstead or village'.
Toynton was the centre of a thriving pottery industry, thought to have been established some time after 1200.
The church is grade II listed and dates from the 18th century.
The building is of red brick, with late 19th century additions.
The octagonal font is from the 14th century, with a later 19th century restored base.