Markby village is situated 3½ miles from Alford and consists of about two dozen properties.
After the founding of the priory in 1160, the local people were encouraged by the Canons to use the Priory Church. On the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII they obtained permission, first to use a corner of the old priory and then in 1611 to build the present church. In the first instance the roof was tiled, but in 1672 Richard White, churchwarden, substituted a thatch, taking the tiles as payment. This is the only thatched church in Lincolnshire, and partly built of stone rescued from the priory ruins.
By the late 19th Century St. Peter's was in a sorry state and incapable of being used regularly so a new corrugated iron church, "Christ Church", was erected close by - the old church being retained for funerals and the occasional wedding. However by 1962 this “tin church” was rusting and irreparable so it was decided to renovate old St. Peter’s.
Today the interior of the church still bears traces of its history - the Norman dog-toothed decoration on the chancel arch, the former oak cross beam rescued from the roof bearing a date of 1611, together with the ancient font from the old parish church, the 13th Century rose sculpture and the 19th Century box pews.
We welcome visitors and tourists.