Horsington lies about 2 miles North East of Stixwold and 4 miles North of Woodhall Spa in the County of Lincolnshire.
The name derives from the Old English Horsa+ing+tun, meaning "estate or farm belonging to Horsa". It appears in the 1086 Domesday Book as Horsintone.
The old church was All Hallows, the site of which is shown in the fields to the South West of our village at a point which is almost equidistant from Stixwold in the South, Bucknall to the West and Horsington village itself. It is said to have traditionally been the common church of all 3 parishes before the current church was built.
Before the building of the new Church and following All Hallows falling into an unusable condition, services were held in an old Tithe Barn at Manor Farm.
The present church of Horsington is quite modern being built in 1860 in place of a previous very poor thatched structure. It was designed by David Brandon. The church is built in the Victorian style with both lancet and cusped lancet windows.
Our modern church built of brick with stone dressings has a steeple which is a notable landmark in the area and it was to this end that Sir John Betjeman, the Poet Laureate, commissioned the artist John Piper to make a line drawing which was used to illustrate his poem "A Lincolnshire Church" and which we have permission to use on our letterheads.
Entering through the heavy wooden door, you see our font and cover before turning to see through the impressive reed screen the beautiful Stained Glass window in the East which is believed to have been erected in memory of Rev Francis Hugh Dean who was Rector of Horsington in the early 1880s by his widow.
We are proud of our tablets, details of which are:
North Wall Sanctuary
On the south side of the chancel rest the mortal remains of the Reverend Thomas Frederick Smith B D formerly Fellow of St Mary Magadalen College Oxford Rector of this parish from November 7 1856 till May 21the Sunday after Ascension Day 1871. He departed this life aged 50 years. Under his care the Church, National School were built.
In affestionate memory of him and their one daughter Catherine Isabella who died at Weighmouth July 12 1866 aged 1 year and 9 months the painted East window was erected by his widow. 'Our Father Thy Kington come'
To the beloved memory of Frederick Ewen Cowper Smith Lieut Royal Artillery eldest son of the late Revd. T F Smith formerly Rector of the parish.
He died of fever bought on by over exertion in the discharge of his duty in active service in Afghanistan with the Kyber Line Field Force in July 26th 1860 when he had just completed 19 years of earthly life. 'Jesus mercy'
Rectangular metal plaque with cross
Sacred to the memory of Arthur Munro Cowper Smith Captain in the Royal Field Artillery and graduate of Trinity College Cambridge. He died at Beira East Africa on September 28th 1898 in the 36th year of his age of injuries received in a grass fire whilst shooting game on the Pungwe River. He was the second son of the Revd. T F Smith B D Rector of this parish.
South Wall Sanctuary
In memory of Colonel Bonar Millet Deare second son of the Rev George Deane late Rector of Highton. He fell on the path of duty to his Queen and country in South Africa gallantly leading a coloumn of the 58th Regiment under General G C at the battle of Laings Hek Jan 28th 1881 aged 46years. 'He fought a good fight he kept the Faith. Jesus Mercy'. Labinur in pejno doner meliora revertant.
Metal plaque with cross.
Altar Rails in memory of James Patchett 10.7.1898 – 5.12.1975
Mr Frederick Grant of Lincoln, who was known as a lay reader, carved the beautiful font cover of eight panels to form an octagonal shape in memory of Lieutenant Harold Bates, nephew of the then Rector R C Bates who made the ultimate sacrifice for his country. Mr Grant also carved our war memorial, which is formed by 3 panels symbolising the Trinity.
Great War Memorial 1914 - 1918
Our First World War memorial contains the following names:
Our services have been affected by the ongoing coronavirus situation. We hope to hold a service at St. Peter's each Sunday, with additional online services. Keep an eye on the Services and Events page for the most up-to-date information about our upcoming services.
Our website is www.woodhallspa.group
Rector and Churchwardens
Our Rector is the Reverend Joseph Snelling
Address: The Vicarage, Alverston Avenue, Woodhall Spa. LN10 6SN
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 07874 929430
All Saints' Church doesn't currently have any churchwardens. Interested? Please get in touch with the Rector or Group Administrator for further information.