The Church of St. Thomas was consecrated on the 31st of October 1849 as a place of worship for the Parish of Golborne. Many generations of families have celebrated new life at the Baptism of young children. Marriage vows have been exchanged and its beautiful architecture and churchyard have graced many wedding photos. Since the first burial in 1850 it continues to be a place where people of Golborne are buried and remember their loved ones.
The Church is a grade 2 listed building and is situated in a Wigan Borough Council preservation area.
The building was begun in 1849, stones from Billing Delph were brought along the Leeds- Liverpool Canal to the Dover Lock at Abram and carried on local farmers carts to the site. The tower and a bell were added in 1856. In 1925/26 more building including a vestry, and a rebuilding of the Chancel and Sanctuary occurred to raise the height of the roof. Two meeting rooms, a disabled toilet and a kitchen were added in the 1990’s to complete the unfinished north aisle. In later years the organ was restored and new stained glass windows were added.
The side chapel is the home to the miners memorial window which remembers those who died in the 1979 Golborne Colliery mining disaster.
Local School Children regularly visit the Church to learn about its history and architecture. The well maintained graveyard with mature trees and wildlife provide another learning environment.
Primarily St. Thomas Church is a place where we faithfully worship God the Father, as revealed in Jesus his Son, in the power of the Holy Spirit.