St. George’s is a small C of E church close to the centre of Wigan.
From 1st November 2018 until 31st March 2019 St. George's is hosting a Night Shelter. During this period, with permission from the Bishop of Liverpool, the PCC have decided to suspend Sunday Services.
Usual patterns of worship include traditional Sung Eucharist on the first and third Sunday each month with Services of the Word on the other Sundays. There is a small but very loyal, hard-working congregation.
It is a Grade 2 listed building, consecrated in 1781. In the mid 1960s, a decline in industries, large scale demolition in the town and a new road system had a dramatic effect on the church as families moved away. In 1980, fire rendered the church unfit for purpose and complete restoration was required. Partial reordering of the interior has taken place to best utilise the space.